Volunteering for the Council
The Broome County Council of Churches’ Volunteer Management Program serves to strengthen the community in which we live. Our volunteers work to serve and educate those in need and advocate for the common good. Through our Volunteer Program you can help the Broome County Council of Churches provide services for the sick and injured, the elderly, the young, prisoners, the poor, the hungry and the homeless.
Volunteers planting the CHOW Orchard on August 22, 2010
6 Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
- Fill out our Volunteer Application Form to volunteer or call the Council at 607-724-9130 to register. If you need to fulfill hours through community service, fill out the Community Service Application or call us to see if we can accommodate your hours.
- Fill out our Volunteer Liability Release Form. This form can be printed from our website and mailed in or you may come in to the Council to fill it out. This form is mandatory in order to become a volunteer.
- You will be contacted by staff memberFrom Council letting you know we have your information. They will talk with you about your skills, times available and your interests, some of which has been covered from your registration form. If you do not hear from anyone, please call us at 607-724-9130.
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation if required for your Volunteer Position.
- Start Volunteering! And please remember to record your time to the Council on the Volunteer Monthly Time Form (see below).
- Communicate with the Council on how your volunteer work is progressing. We would like to hear from you! You can fill out our Volunteer Feedback Form at any time to let us know how you are doing.
Once a year, in the fall, we have a volunteer appreciation celebration.
Volunteer Monthly Time Form
Thank you for keeping track of your volunteer hours. By tracking your hours for us, you are benefiting the Council as a whole. We can use your statistics, including your hours, in grants that we apply for through our many programs.
Fill out our Monthly Volunteer Time Form here
What We Offer Our Volunteers
Our Volunteer Program benefits our volunteers by creating partnerships, relationships and a sense of purpose. Volunteers want to serve their community for many reasons:
To make a positive impact for others
To gain leadership skills
To work with a particular population
To receive recognition
To contribute to a certain cause
To have fun
To gain self-esteem
To fulfill school requirements
To fulfill service requirements
To change your routine
To make community connection
To make social connections
Take a look at our programs and see if we can help to fulfill your volunteer goals.